Thursday, January 24, 2008

A song in the night

For as long as I can remember, I have been singing...solo's,duet's,trio's and any other way you can sing. I love to sing! I usually have a song of some kind on my mind and usually it is coming out of my mouth. If I'm not singing, I'm whistling. I just love music.

I was about three years old when my Mother stood me on a folding chair behind the church pulpit and I sang with her. We sang "Fill My Cup Lord." To this day I love that song. From then on it was on to more and more singing. Mom taught me to harmonize when I was around six. She would sit in the living room arm chair and I would perch on the arm and we would sing and practice until I could get the harmony right. One thing that helped me and still does is I can hear the music so well.

My mother married a man who had five children and he became my step-father. We all began to sing together in the 70's. My step-sister Darla would play the piano and I would play the guitar and we would sing. We had pretty good harmony too.

From there I went on to many solo's and then formed a trio with one of my sisters and the pastor's daughter. We sang almost every weekend somewhere. People really liked us. We sang mostly Southern Gospel. I remember one revival that the preacher was so well liked that it went on for almost a month. Every night. We sang our hearts out. I so enjoyed it.

Upon graduation, we broke up the group and I came to Hobe Sound Bible College. I didn't do anything with my talent for two years and then I joined the choir. We sang everywhere around the college as well as at the church and special competitions. Every spring we went on choir tour. That was so much fun. Sixty people on the bus and we would practice as we drove. The first year we traveled out West. The second year we traveled the East Coast. I had the privilege of singing a solo on one of the songs during my second year in choir. I will never forget. We did "I'd Rather Have Jesus." It brought the house "down" every time we sang that song. Such wonderful memories.

After college, I went home and started working in our church. My mother and I with another sister formed a trio and we sang on and off. Mom and I traveled to Bucyrus Ohio and sang for a weekend revival. I was invited by a large Baptist church to sing and I was the only singer scheduled. I had to come up with a repetoir (sp) of about ten songs to fill the evening. They must have liked me because they invited me back time and time again. They were known for having some really big groups in and so I felt a little intimidated by that, but I went anyways.

When Tom and I were married I started singing in his church. They are a very small church and so any music with a tune and instruments to go along with it was an accomplishment for them. Tom and I sang together some but mostly I sang by myself.

Now that we are here and our church is so big, I hardly ever sing. I have sang in the Sanctuary Choir and I did sing for two years in the Singing Tree. I enjoyed doing the Tree a lot. Because of being pregnant for Katie I skipped this year. I hope to sing in the Tree again next Christmas.

Today as I was preparing supper I thought about all the times I have sang. I had one song going through my head and I wanted to share some of the words with you. Sometimes a song can say the right words to help us if we are going through a battle, maybe a loved one has died, or we are just really down in the dumps and feel like God is so far away.

Well friends, I'm here to tell you that He isn't. He promised to be right here with us no matter what the circumstances may be. He promised to lift us up when we fall, and to be our "strong tower" when the storm comes pressing in. He WILL be there for you and me always!! WE CAN COUNT ON JESUS!!

Here's the song that I was thinking of today...

Too Much To Gain To Lose

To many miles behind me

Too many trials are through

Too many tears help me to remember

That there's too much to gain to lose.
Too many sunsets lie behind the mountain
Too many rivers my feet have walked through
Too many treasures are waiting over yonder
And there's too much to gain to lose
I've crossed the hot burning desert
Struggling the right road to choose
Somewhere up ahead there's cool clear water
And defeat is one word I don't use.
I'm so glad that when we feel defeated or used up that God is there to pick us up and remind us that we've come a long way and we can't give up but just keep trusting in Him. Praise the Lord for His love and grace to me.
I'm so thankful that my Mother taught me how to sing and that if I will serve Jesus He will take care of me and be my very best friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail,
Your post brought back so many fond memories for me. I have always loved to hear you sing... keep singing...

Also, your girls are so precious.

Sherry Jolly

Becky said...

I just love it when God put's a song in my heart. Would love to hear you sing:)