Saturday, January 12, 2008

My little chef

I awoke to a beautiful day with the sun shining and birds singing. And kids screaming at 8:30 a.m. !! I could have screamed myself!! I mean, come on, whose kids are out of bed and screaming at the top of their lungs that early in the morning. Especially a Saturday morning when I wanted to sleep. Maybe I just woke up a little grumpy.....gasp!!

Anyhow, I decided that I wanted some biscuits for breakfast. Now I used to make them all the time until I found out that Pillsbury makes some frozen biscuits that are almost as good as mine. So I quit making them and started buying them. But, alas, this morning Pillsbury was not in my freezer so I made some.

I have some rules before I allow anyone to cook in my kitchen.

1. You wash your hands.
2. Your hair must be on your head or at least pulled back from your face. If you have long hair that is. Nothing is more gross than eating a meal and finding hair in your food.

Now you know that when there is a 4 yr old in the house and you are getting into something messy, you have to have help. Patricia loves to help me in the kitchen and usually if it's going to be a lot of stove work, I won't let her. I'm so scared she will get burned. But, this morning it was biscuits. She had a blast. I mixed all the ingredients together and then I let her stir it. She stirred until her little hands were worn out and then I took over. Once they were all mixed up, I let her roll them out and cut them out.

Here are a few pictures of our morning.

Patricia was really getting into shaping the dough to roll it out with the rolling pin.



She had a lot of fun with the little biscuit cutters from Grandma Shirley. We don't use them a lot and she wanted to use all three. We had cute tiny biscuits and big ones too.



We are getting there.
Finally a full dish. Next they go in the oven to be baked. Yummy!!

All done and they turned out so nice. They were light and fluffy and just the right size.

The end results. They were wonderful with Mommy's eggs and bacon. Bonn appetite!!

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

My Mom and her Mom both used to make homemade bread, us girls LOVED to help, especially towards the end...great memories you are making with her.

Leora Schenck said...

How Cute! Her biscuits look yummy!