Monday, May 4, 2009

Meet Buddy


I have dreaded so much every time my husband would go to Craigs list or an animal shelter to start looking for a dog. I think he started way back in February when we were sure we wanted to move to the bigger house. The back yard is fenced in and is a perfect place for a pet and for our girls to play with a dog. I just really dreaded the work that is involved...feeding, exercising, bathing, etc. You get the picture. I did not want the added responsibility to all of the things I already am responsible for.

About 5 weeks ago my husband told me that he had found a dog and he wanted me to go and see it. He said that it was a Black Lab mixed and would be perfect for our girls. The owner was moving and had two dogs. The Lab was the bigger dog and he couldn't take both dogs with him so the Lab had to go.

We drove to PSL to see him. Tom got out and met the owner and dog at the door. When I got out of the truck Buddy was NOT happy to see me. He growled and bared his teeth. I was not really sure what to do because I love dogs and don't usually have any problems with them. He was not warming up to me in the least. I finally went around to the passenger side of the truck to get Katie out when he came bouncing back to me growling. That was the last time he growled. I guess he changed his mind about me and decided I wasn't too bad afterall.

We brought him home and he has adjusted well. The girls love him to death. They can lay on him and lead him all over. They love to go in the back yard and play with him. That is the only reason he is still here. Now I'm too soft to send him away. I sweep the floors every day to keep the dog hair up and believe it or not, there isn't any smell with him.

I guess we will keep him for now. He has become part of the family. Now if I can just keep him out of the trash. ***sigh***

1 comment:

Anita Marie said...

What a nice look'n dog. I'm sure eventually he'll become your best friend. Here's hoping the benefits outweigh the responsibilities. Glad the girls get along with him so well.