Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Doing it the old fashion way

I have heard so many people talking about making their own laundry soap and I've kind of scoffed at the idea thinking that I couldn't live without my Tide...:):) I finally broke down and decided to make some home made soap. I had been give some recipes and had googled laundry soap and found even more recipes, but I just wasn't happy with any of them. I mean, who wants to spend an entire day trying to make laundry soap? I wanted something fast and efficient that would get the job done without the big expense I had been paying.

My friend Deborah Mershimer posted a recipe on facebook stating that she didn't melt and boil and squish stuff together but rather she just did a dry recipe. She made it sound so quick and easy that I wanted to try it too. I bought the ingrediants and made my first batch. I was so impressed. It was easy to make. Each batch is one grated bar of Fels-Naptha soap, one cup borax and one cup washing soda. All ingredients now available at our WalMart! Yay! You can also use Zote soap or castille soap. Today I made mine with a bar of Ivory soap because I had forgotten to get the Fels- Naptha bar while shopping on Monday. It usually takes about 2-3 tsp. of soap per load and you can add vinegar, bleach and oxy clean if you so desire. It is about 5 cents a load. You can't beat that.

So, I did my first load with this new home made soap. I think that load was towels. After they were done they smelled so fresh and clean I was impressed. But I knew the real test would be on my husbands work clothes. He works construction, mows the hay fields and sweats like a horse. I knew if his clothes (which I do not allow in my clothes hamper) came clean then I was sold on this soap. His clothes came out super clean!!!! They even smelled fresh!!! I was sold!!!!

Now that's all I use. I have 2 little kittens in the house right now because one has a broken leg and their bedding gets yucky!! They come clean and smell fresh!!!

So there it is. I love it and I would encourage you to try it for yourself. You will find it fantastic just like I did!!!

No comments: