Wednesday, July 16, 2008

HELP! HELP! HELP!

If you read and saw the pictures in my previous blog about Tricia burning up some Ramon Noodles in my microwave then you will know what is coming next.

Does any one know how to get the smoke smell out of my house? I'm washing the curtains, the microwave is now on the porch, I have all of my goblets down ready for the dish washer (they were above the micro) and I've washed the cabinets on that side of the kitchen. I can't stand the stench anymore. If you have a good idea or have had a similar problem and have an answer please pass it on. I'm desparate.

My microwave is on the car port patio and I heated a bowl of water and vinegar in it as goolge suggested. I left it in there to steam. When I opened the back door to go check on it you could smell the micro all over the carport. I may have to take up an offering to get a new one...lol.

Please let me know if you have a solution. Thanks.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Hi there. I read about your plight on the HSBC blog page. Your situation sounds pretty bad, so I don't really know if I have help or not, but I'll give it a shot. :)

I have a WONDERFUL book entitled, "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean". (by Linda Cobb) It has solutions for all sorts of situations. Now for REALLY bad smoke/fire damage she strongly encourages having the ducts in your home cleaned to avoid problems even down the road when you think it's all cleaned up. Otherwise, she recommends a bowl with several lemon slices in the microwave for about 60 seconds. If that doesn't work: put a bowl with vanilla extract in it. Microwave for at least 60 seconds. Leave the door completely closed for 12 hours, then remove the bowl of vanilla and wipe down the microwave.
After your curtains are washed, and you've cleaned everything the best you know how, she suggests purchasing some wintergreen oil at a health food store; put a few drops on cotton balls and stash them in plants, decorative pieces, just hidden around the house. This should help the stench leave the home!

I hope this was at least a little helpful! I do highly recommend the book...it has solutions for all sorts of things, most of which are cheap home remedies that I have personally used and found to be awesome!

Mary Ellen said...

I did something very similar with a thing of spaghetti, one of those toddler meals! Smoke ALL over the whole house, and it was last summer so I couldn't open up and air out. The house stunk everytime I used the microwave for awhile, I thought we were going to have to get a new one but it did go away.

It does get better, I think your idea of using it on the carport for a few days might be a great idea. It would keep the smell from reappearing every time you use your microwave.

My aunt did some research for me and found a website that suggested using nonacetone finger nail polish remover, use cotton balls and wipe it anywhere inside the microwave where it's black. It removed a LOT of the black and majorly helped with the smell too.

I'm so glad your Mom appeared, that is so scarey what COULD have been.

Mary said...

Right away I thought of the Heloise column I read in the paper every now and then. I'm sure she would recommend either vinegar or baking soda. Her website is http://www.heloise.com/

Three of my four boys love to play with the microwave and so far we haven't have any major problems for which I'm thankful.